What They Don’t Teach You In University: Thoughts From A First Year Teacher

As we enter into a new year and a fresh start, it’s given me a chance to reflect on the “first half” of my first year of teaching. I have been able to look back on my successes and my opportunities for growth. I have thought about the areas of change that are needed in my classroom, my teaching habits, and in my life in general.

As I think about my year so far, I have realized that a lot of what I have learned has stemmed from my real life experiences in the classroom, rather than in a desk in university. It is when I am on the front lines of teaching that I gain the most strides in education and growth in my profession. There are a lot of things that I have learned in my first year of teaching that a part of me wishes I had learned previously so I was better prepared. Since I am experiencing this first hand, I thought I would make it a little easier for the next first year teacher out there and prepare them for what is to come. I came up with a list of the most important things I have learned so far, and I know that by the end of this year, I will have much to add.

1. There is a COST to teaching
First of all, first year teaching costs MONEY! Be prepared to spend money for your classroom and your students. When you are starting from scratch, there is a lot to be bought for the classroom. Even though it can be expensive, it’s worth it. It makes a lot of difference for your students and for the classroom environment.

First year teaching also costs TIME. You will spend countless hours at the beginning of the school year setting up your classroom and planning your year. It is A LOT of work, and it will continue to be A LOT of work for the rest of the year, but that is the profession we are in. Even though we spend a lot of time planning, prepping, and even with professional development, it pays off!

2. Teaching is a TEAM EFFORT.
I do not know where I would be without my “team” in teaching. I have many people who support, guide, direct, and encourage me. Whether it be my fellow staff members, my family, my friends, or my PLN, they are all important to me in my teaching career. These people can be my biggest resource.

3. Take it DAY BY DAY
First year teaching can be draining- emotionally, physically, and mentally. At the end of a teaching day you feel exhausted, but yet you still need to put time into planning. It’s important to prioritize your work so that it doesn’t become overwhelming and that you still have time for a life outside of teaching. At the end of a teaching day, I make a list of the most important things that need to be done for the next day. This helps me focus on the most important tasks at hand and helps me take each day at a time.

4. You INVEST in teaching
Teaching is not an easy job for the heart. I had a quick reality check in my first few months of teaching with how quickly you get attached to your students. You are constantly concerned that they are safe, their needs are met, they are happy, or that they are learning. It’s not easy to separate yourself from your job, but at the same time, maybe that’s what makes it obvious you are meant to be a teacher. Even though it doesn’t make it easy sometimes, it’s important we are there for our students when they need us. The reason we teach is for our students, which is why we need to invest in their lives.

5. Focus on RELATIONSHIP
There are a lot of parts to teaching that you need to worry about. Testing, curriculum, outcomes, report cards, grades, etc. Even though these are important aspects, at the end of the day, the biggest thing that matters is relationship. Building strong relationships with your students is what will make or break your teaching experience. No, not all the material will get covered over the year and you might not have time to teach a specific math lesson. However, I am confident that a student will remember how you cared for them, laughed with them, and made them feel a sense of belonging over that missed math lesson. Teaching is difficult, draining and exhausting, but when you have a connection with your students, it makes the hard stuff a lot easier.

6. Every day is FRESH START
There will be days that are tough for you and for your students. There will be days that you wish you could do over. Unfortunately, there are no do overs, but luckily, every day is a fresh start. As a first year teacher, every day is trial and error because teaching is a brand new experience. However, I am so thankful that kids are some of the most forgiving people. When I come to school the next day, they don’t bring up the mistakes from yesterday, they move forward. My students have taught me to brush off the past and start over. We all have bad days, teachers and students, which is why it is so encouraging that we can treat each day as a new beginning. Everyone wants a chance to start fresh every day, and everyone deserves it.

-Amanda Brace

1 Comment on What They Don’t Teach You In University: Thoughts From A First Year Teacher

1. Ferrah
    February 6, 2015 at 3:12 am (9 years ago)

Great reflections that match my thoughts when I first started! Often wondered why “no one told me about this part!”

Reply