Story Making

This week for our class we were lucky enough to hear Alan Levine talk about story telling. It reminded me about how important story telling is, especially in the classroom. There are so many online tools for students to tell stories, which is why I wanted to test some of them out.

I decided to share a story by using two tools, PhotoPeach and Slideroll. I told a story about the time my family’s dog got a really hideous haircut. I told the same story using both of the tools, which allowed me to see the pros and cons of each tool. The end results of both stories are very similar, but the making of them was quite a bit different.

I liked using PhotoPeach more than Slideroll because it was more user friendly and had more options. Both allowed me to use background music, text and photos, but Slideroll was more limited with its selection. However, Slideroll can be easily used on a mobile device. Even though PhotoPeach worked better for me, other people might find more benefits in the other one. Either one would be a great tool for kids to use because it gives them a good format to tell a story.

Here is my PhotoPeach story:

My Slideroll story can be read here

Even though the stories are very similar, let me know which format you like better!

-Amanda

4 Comments on Story Making

1. Lindsay Greve
    March 2, 2014 at 5:08 pm (10 years ago)

Thanks for sharing, Amanda. What a great story with application in the classroom for a self-esteem lesson. As you stated, the two stories are quite similar. However, I think I like the one you made on Slideroll a little bit better (probably because of the more upbeat music). I have used PhotoPeach before and I know that you can’t include different kinds of music (like a slower one for when the dog is sad and a faster paced one for when the dog is happy) but that would be great. I’m sure there is a program out there where one could do so.

Reply
    • Amanda Brace
      March 2, 2014 at 5:44 pm (10 years ago)

Thanks for watching Lindsay. I did try to put different types of music at different times, but I couldn’t figure it out. There are so many story making tools that probably allow you to do things like that, luckily there are so many options when it comes to story making applications!

Reply
  2. Rebecca Baranowski
    March 4, 2014 at 2:43 am (10 years ago)

I also used photo peach and found it extremely easy. What age would you feel you would start using this tool in the classroom?

Reply
    • Amanda Brace
      March 4, 2014 at 5:35 am (10 years ago)

I have seen similar things done with students as young as grade 1. I think that children can do a lot with technology if they are given the chance.

Reply