A Pedagogical Shift

I am currently taking a class about contemporary perspectives in early childhood education (ECE 425). This class really pushes me to expand my views on education. It allows me to think of how I will positively change the way teaching is done and how I will create a Pedagogical Shift in my classroom.

My knowledge and ideas on teaching continued to expand today because of the amazing guest speaker we had, Lindsay Stuart, who is a Kindergarten teacher in Regina. She shared her struggles and her passions in teaching, and gave us insight on what the first year of teaching looks like. Lindsay gave us some helpful ideas on how to use inquiry based learning in the classroom. She also shared how she uses technology in the classroom and gave us useful tools to document student learning online. She is a teacher who meets curriculum outcomes in a creative way so that the students learning is purposeful. She is a teacher who is changing the way teaching is done and taking part in a Pedagogical Shift! Here are some of the most important things I learned from Lindsay:

Technology is a tool that can be used to…
-Create Independence
-Expand and Enrich
-Differentiate and Create
-Learn and Share

Inquiry Based Learning is Important because it…
-Empowers students to find their own answers
-Creates independence in learning
-Deepens understanding rather than passively receiving information
-Allows students to be directly involved in the learning taking place
-Gives students the chance to take ownership on their learning

She also showed us the power of displaying the students learning online! When students are able to display their work through E Portfolios or Blogs, it allows for:

1) Life-long Learning
2) An Avenue to Share
3) Opportunities for Reflection
4) Family-School Connections

I am so glad that I am able to hear other educator’s stories and experiences. These insights on teaching help shape me as an educator and continue to expand my views on the Pedagogical Shift that I want to happen in my classroom!

-Amanda

8 Comments on A Pedagogical Shift

1. Dean Shareski
    March 27, 2014 at 1:55 pm (10 years ago)

I’d be curious to see how you see that course fitting into ours

Reply
    • Amanda Brace
      March 27, 2014 at 6:47 pm (10 years ago)

It goes hand in hand. It gives new perspectives on teaching; how to teach in a more efficient, effective, innovative and new way that is beneficial for children. How to put the well being of the student first rather than focusing solely on the curriculum. I feel like this course is helping me grow in those ideas too. Valuable courses that will benefit me as a teacher.

Reply
  2. Deanna
    March 27, 2014 at 7:39 pm (10 years ago)

Great post Amanda! I really took a lot from a Lindsay. Something I am really interest to try is co-assessment with parents when using e-portfolios. Having students, parents and teachers all be active participants in a classroom would be so unreal.

Reply
    • Amanda Brace
      March 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm (10 years ago)

I totally agree and that’s why e portfolios are brilliant. It allows the children to share their learning and the parents can feel more apart of their learning as well.

Reply
  3. missbeauchesne
    March 28, 2014 at 2:59 am (10 years ago)

What a great review and summary of a wonderful presentation!

Reply
    • Amanda Brace
      March 30, 2014 at 9:01 pm (10 years ago)

Thanks Stephanie!

Reply
  4. Lindsay Greve
    March 28, 2014 at 7:33 pm (10 years ago)

Sounds like a really great presentation. So this teacher is using e-portfolios with Kindergarten students? If so, that is simply amazing and great to see. Through my mentorship I have been able to see the benefits of e-portfolios and have seen many parent comments on student work providing suggestions and encouragement. Definitely something that I would like to bring into my classroom.

Reply
    • Amanda Brace
      March 30, 2014 at 8:58 pm (10 years ago)

She started the year by doing the e portfolios privately so she could get the hang of it. She then tested it out with a few parents she trusted to see how it worked, and then she is going to make it public for every parent to see their child’s progress and learning. I agree with you, I hope to bring e-portfolios in my classroom too! So many benefits.

Reply